After day three, I came home and played the Ten Commandments song for my kids. Ben and I had taken some musical risks in the production, and I hadn’t felt great about the chorus melody, so I should have seen it coming when my kids responded lukewarmly. That night, feeling disappointment and gratitude in equal parts, I drifted into a fitful sleep.
I woke at 3:37 am wednesday morning, reimagined and rewrote the entire verse (which lists The Commandments) and worked on the chorus melody until I LOVED it. I finished with just enough time to brew the morning coffee and bring a cup to my slowly rising Amy.
I was nervous to bring all this up to Ben, but he took it like a champ and once he heard the changes, we both thanked God for my kiddos and their honest responses. The song is better because of them!
There’s not much else to report about Wednesday because we spent almost the entire day reworking the Ten Commandments song. I added ukelele and tambourine, sang the new vocals and then sent it to our “guest artist” who must not be named, but who may be be named later.
Wait – I can’t believe almost forgot! Frankenstein and Dracula also stopped by and put down some scratch vocals. They only had a minute so we recorded them together. Their vocal tones are very different, but both sounded great on Ben’s old Sony C37-P microphone.
In other news, it was the first day of 2nd grade for our son Benjamin, and he loves his new teacher! Our son Jonah also started this week (at a new school) and so far, so good.
More to come tomorrow! Stay tuned!